District Heating Services
The provision of energy in the UK must, and is, changing. In order to provide energy into homes in the 21st century we need to be smarter in the way we utilise the resources at our disposal. The energy provided needs to be cleaner, contain less carbon, more sustainable, still cost competitive for customers in comparison to older methods and very importantly, secure.
There is no ‘one solution’ that will provide the UK’s very urgent need to meet its commitment to reduce its carbon emissions by 80% on 1990 levels by 2050. However, the provision of heating and hot water to the UK’s homes and businesses accounts for 49% of total UK energy consumed and is responsible for 47% of all carbon emissions. Reducing the carbon content of heat will play a major role in helping to achieve this target.
Common throughout most of Northern Europe, District Heating Networks are now becoming more common in the UK. Factors such as less availability of secure gas and oil, higher costs for those commodities as well as the need to provide reduced carbon solutions have led to this change. District Heating Networks provide a permanent, long lasting, solution to developers and users by providing low cost, low carbon heat and sometimes cooling – to both existing and new build developments.
Additionally, customers of the 21st Century will increasingly look towards cleaner, greener solutions in their everyday lives. The provision of low-carbon energy will become an important factor and older, more carbon intensive methods of provision will begin to be phased out. Developers will need to provide homes that meet this requirement and at a cost that is comparable to and competitive to alternatives.
Successive Governments have encouraged the take up of District Heating as a method by releasing grants, loans and incentives to schemes to ensure their development. However, most schemes develop without these aids.
The team at Ener-vate have long experience in understanding what it is that will ensure a District Heating Scheme is a viable and investable solution and will help you to ensure that the scheme you are looking to develop is balanced in the best possible way to generate value to you and your customers whilst delivering the carbon reductions through technical and operational excellence.
Working with prestigious clients throughout the UK Ener-Vate provides a full and wide ranging service. We carry out all of the following aspects of heat network development:
- Initial assessment of viability for heat network
- Initial and full detailed potential heat customer identification, liaison and negotiation
- Contract for Difference Energy Plant understanding and impact on heat development
- Full and agile commercial assessment and modelling to adapt to the changing masterplan
- Work alongside the client to assist in developing a scheme through to appointment of ESCo including tender document writing, assessment of returns, interview of applicants and appointment.
- Assist clients to develop in-house ESCo’s and appoint external service providers
- Assist in the development of the investment and commercial structure options that best suit a schemes drivers
- Heat Customer Agreement liaison and with end users
- Complete support to the client and its legal team in the negotiation with ESCo of the Project Agreement including all Contractual Schedule development
- 3rd Party Thermal Purchase Agreements and negotiation
- City Centre retrofit scheme development from either concept or increasing client take up of heat on existing schemes to increase value
- Local Authority advice and support and scheme development (inc Hospitals and Universities)
- Provide a Due Diligence assessment of 3rd Party schemes in development for final board agreement
We are providing the services above to a wide range of clients in the following categories:
- Residential and Mixed-Use new build developers
- Land developers
- Energy Plant Developers / Owners (Biomass, Energy from Waste)
- ESCo Providers
- Local Authorities
- Housing Associations